Common Cold is a very common condition which is common in infants, toddlers, children, teens and adults. Be it change of weather or any sort of allergy or excessive cold wind we get to see so many people around down with common cold.
We thought of listiing home remedies for common cold. Hereby goes the list:
1. Eucalyptus Oil : It is very beneficial as it helps in Nasal congestion. It is very helful in stuffy nose. You can use it for inhaling the steam from boiling water which has added drops of eucalyptus oil and you can also add a few drops in your handkerchief and inhale it from time to time.
2. Raw Onion , Garlic and Ajwain : Use all the three ingredients and roast it on the pan. After that crush it a bit and tie it in a soft muslin cloth and make a potli. You can use this potli by tucking it inside the tshirt of children and infants during sleep at night and afternoon. It really helps in common cold.
3. Ginger : It can be crushed and the juice can be given alongwith honey. Ginger is known to keep the body warm and helps in chills due to cold. It is also known to have anti inflammatory properties.
4. Tulsi : Tulsi leaves can be crushed and made into juice and can be used for common cold.
5. A mixture of Tulsi, Ginger, Cloves, Honey can also be mixed and taken twice a day. It helps in reducing the symptoms of common cold.
6. Turmeric : It is very beneficial as it contains curcumin which has both antibiotic as well as antioxidant properties. It can be consumed with milk or in warm water.
7. Soup : Vegetable clear soup or tomato soup can be consumed as it gives a palliative effect on the sore throat alongwith common cold. the fumes from the soup will thin the mucus and help it flow out of your nose, and the nutrients present will boost your energy levels.
8. Black pepper: Can be taken in water. It helps in sneezing and it will also help in reducing the mucus flow.
9. Cinnamon: It has both anti viral and anti inflammatory properties and can be consumed with honey twice a day.
10. Hydrated: A person when suffering from common cold should be adequately hydrated. Good hydration always helps in moisturizing the lining of the nose and throat, which makes mucus easier to clear.
11. Vitamin C: Use food stuffs rich in Vitamin C as it is known to reduce the severity and duration of common cold.
12. Tea : Chomilla tea, green tea or the normal tea when made alongwith ginger and mint leaves helps in malaise due to common cold.
13. Sleep : Adequate sleep is very essential to regain your strength to recover soon from common cold.
14. Steam : Thsi helps in clearing the blocked nasal passages. alongwith plain water you can add essential oils like eucalyptus oil, menthol, camphor to name a few.
15. Onion : Slice two to three red onions horizontally. Put one slice of onion in a bowl and add raw honey. Repeat the process until the bowl is full.
Cover the bowl and leave it for 12 to 15 hours. When you open the bowl, there will be thick liquid like syrup.
Drink a spoonful of the syrup several times a day to get relief from sore throats and other symptoms of a cold.
While using home based remedies and natural products to get relief from cold is useful, you need to keep certain things in mind before using them. Using certain foods and herbs may not be suited for all. For example, giving honey to kids younger than one year for treating a cold is not recommended. Similarly, some people may be allergic to certain ingredients. So always use home stuff that suits you.
Hope the article was useful. Get in tough with us for any further doubts and queries. We would be happy to help.
Dr. Ankita Marjadi
ValsadMarch 03, 2018