Quick look on dengue
Here are some key points about dengue fever.
# Dengue is transmitted between people by the mosquitoes Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus, which are found throughout the world.
# Dengue is endemic in at least 100 countries in Asia, the Pacific, the Americas, Africa, and the Caribbean.
# Symptoms of infection usually begin 4-7 days after the mosquito bite and typically last 3-10 days.
# If a clinical diagnosis is made early, DHF can be effectively treated using fluid replacement therapy.
WHERE CAN ONE GET MORE INFORMATION ON DENGUE
The websites of World Health Organisation (WHO),the Centers of Disease Control (CDC),and The National Vector Borne disease Control Program of India (NVBDCP) provide updated information of dengue its symptoms and its treatment.
SYMPTOMS OF DENGUE FEVER
If you contract dengue fever, symptoms usually begin about four to seven days after the initial infection. In many cases, symptoms will be mild. They may be mistaken for symptoms of the flu or another infection. Young children and people who have never experienced infection may have a milder illness than older children and adults. Symptoms generally last for about 10 days and can include:
# sudden, high fever (up to 106 degrees Fahrenheit)
# severe headache
# swollen lymph glands
# severe joint and muscle pains
# skin rash (appearing between two and five days after the initial fever)
# mild to severe nausea
#mild to severe vomiting
# mild bleeding from the nose or gums
# mild bruising on the skin
# febrile convulsions
1) Giloy: A very important herb in Ayurveda. It helps in maintaining the metabolic rate, strengthening the immune system and protects your body against infections.To help cure dengue you should boil the stems and serve it as a herbal drink. You can also add few Tulsi leaves in the drink as tulsi helps as an immunity booster.
2) Papaya Leaves:
"The platelet count are increased and it help to reduces the symptoms of fever like body ache, chills, feeling low, getting tired easily and nausea, You can crush the leaves and consume or drink the juice which helps in flushing out the toxins from your body.
3) Fenugreek Leaves:
Acting as a sedative to ease pain and promote more restful sleep for patients, it helps in reducing fever. You can soak the leaves in water and then drink it or you can get methi powder and mix it with water and have it.
Goldenseal is a herb whose dried root is used to make medicine. It has the ability to clear up the symptoms of dengue fever very quickly and eliminate the virus from the body. It works like papaya leaves.You use it in the same way like papaya leaves either by crushing and chewing or by juicing it.
5) Turmeric: It is also known to boost metabolism and helps in making the healing process faster. You can consume turmeric along with milk.
6) Tulsi Leaves and Black Pepper:
Consume a drink made by boiling Tulsi leaves and adding about 2 grams of black pepper to it. This drink helps in building your immunity and acts as an antibacterial element.
7) Barley Grass: Barley grass has the unique ability to significantly increase the body’s blood platelet count by stimulating the production of more blood cells. You can drink barley tea or eat barley grass directly and see a rapid increase in platelet count, which is one of the more serious side effects of dengue fever that can prolong weakness and increase the susceptibility of the body to dengue hemorrhagic fever and more serious complications.
8) Water: This may seem like common sense, but due to the excessive sweating, bodily exertion, and the internal toll that dengue fevertakes on the body, extreme dehydration is common. Drink as much water as possible to keep the body hydrated, which will also help to ease symptoms like headaches and muscle cramps, both of which are exacerbated by dehydration. Furthermore, water will help to flush the body and eliminate excess toxins that can complicate the viral impact of the pathogen.
9) Neem Leaves: Steeping neem leaves and then drinking the subsequent brew has been shown to increase both blood platelet count and white blood cell count, two of the most dangerous side effects of the virus. Properly brewed neem leaves can improve the immune system and return your strength much faster than many other home remedies.
10) Orange Juice: The rich mixture of antioxidants and vitamins found in orange juice make it ideal for treating the secondary symptoms of dengue fever and eliminating the virus. Orange juice helps to promote antibodies of the immune system, increase urination and the release of toxins, and stimulates cellular repair due to vitamin C’s crucial role in the creation of collagen.
How to Prevent Dengue Fever
There is no vaccine to prevent dengue fever. The best method of protection is to avoid mosquito bites and to reduce the mosquito population. When in a high-risk area, you should avoid:
Ø Stagnant water
The Aedes mosquito prefers to breed in clean, stagnant water. It is important to frequently check and remove stagnant water in your home/premises. Here are some tips for this:
# Turn buckets and watering cans over; store them under shelter so water cannot accumulate in them.
# Remove the water from plant pot plates. To remove mosquito eggs, clean and scrub them thoroughly.
# Loosen soil from potted plants. This will prevent puddles from developing on the surface of hard soil.
# Make sure scupper drains are not blocked; do not place potted plants and other objects over the scupper drains.
# Gully traps that are rarely used should be covered; replace gully traps with non-perforated ones, and install anti-mosquito valves.
# Do not place receptacles under or on top of any air-conditioning unit.
# Flower vases - change the water every other day and scrub the inside of the vase thoroughly and rinse it out.
# Leaves - make sure leaves are not blocking anything that may result in the accumulation of puddles or stagnant water.
Reducing the mosquito population involves getting rid of mosquito breeding areas. These areas include any place that still water can collect, such as:
# pet dishes
# flower pots
# any empty vessel
These areas should be checked, emptied, or changed regularly.
Use of mosquito nets, wearing body covering clothes ,avoiding jungles and other mosquito borne areas.
BLOOD TESTS can help diagnose dengue and treatment includes drinking water and taking bed rest and medicines .Even homoeopathic medicines works really well for the treatment of dengue.Increase in the platelet count acts as a saviour from dengue related complications.
We at Arogyada clinic hope you all have a healthy life ahead keep smiling, keep loving all and say love you to people you care for ,it brings a smile on there face....LOVE YOU ALL OUR READERS.
Dr. Khushboo Murarka
NagpurJuly 08, 2017