Hindus view Tulsi as a goddess (a manifestation of Lakshmi) in the form of a plant bestowed with great spiritual powers. According to legend, no amount of gold could outweigh Krishna's power, but a single Tulsi leaf placed on the pan in loving devotion tilted that scale. In India today, Tulsi is still traditionally grown in an earthenware pot in every family home or garden and the leaves are used to make a delicious and refreshing tea.
It is termed as an Adaptogenic Herb.
Now what is an Adaptogenic Herb?
"New class of metabolic regulators (of a natural origin) which increase the ability of an organism to adapt to environmental factors and to avoid damage from such factors."
Another definition requires that, for an herb to be considered an adaptogen, it must be nontoxic, nonspecific and have a normalizing effect on physiology.
They help the body adapt to environmental, physical and emotional stressors, support normal functions and restore balance.
Now lets switch on to the benefits of much heard amazing herb Tulsi:
1) Detox: It acts as a detoxifying, cleansing and purifying agent – both from within and without. It is loaded with phytonutrients, essential oils, Vitamin A and C.
2) Skin: Because of its cleansing properties it is very useful for skin when consumed internally as well as when applied externally.
3) Helps in subsiding some skin disorders like itching and ringworm to name a few.
4) It has antibiotic, anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-carcinogenic properties.
5) It helps in relieving from fever, headache, sore throat, cold, cough, flu and chest congestion.
6) It is also beneficial in treating respiratory ailments like chronic bronchitis and asthma.
7) It helps in relieving stress naturally.
8) From warding off some of the most common ailments, strengthening immunity, fighting bacterial & viral infections to combating and treating various hair and skin disorders – just a few leaves of tulsi when used regularly can help resolve a host of health and lifestyle related issues.
9) It is a very good Immunity Booster.
10) It also facilitates in proper digestion.
11) It counters elevated blood sugar levels and is therefore beneficial for diabetics.
12) It helps in regulating uric acid levels in body, thereby elimination risks of developing kidney stones. It is also beneficial for those who have kidney stones.
13) Widely used as a HOME REMEDY to treat various ailments from mild cold and cough to fever and for dengue and other dangerous diseases.
14) Is great for dental health and for healthy gums.
15) The holy basil has powerful purifying properties. When eaten raw, it purifies the blood giving the skin a beautiful glow, and prevents the appearance of acne and blemishes.
16) Tulsi has a powerful anti-oxidant component called Eugenol. This compound helps protect the heart by keeping one’s blood pressure under control and lowering his/her cholesterol levels.
17) Basil juice is an effective remedy for sore eyes and night blindness, which is generally caused by lack of Vitamin A. Two drops of basil juice can work wonders for the eyes. It soothes eyes and reduces stress.
18) Tulsi is anti-carcinogenic in nature and helps to treat some forms of cancer like breast cancer.
SOME HELPFUL HOME REMEDIES
We at Arogyada clinic aim at helping our readers gain maximum benefits by illuminating them with basic home remedies which can help them in their busy schedule. Hopefully this article would help you all understand the fact that
“2-3 Tulsi leaves a day keeps the doctor away”
Dr. Khushboo Murarka
NagpurJune 22, 2017